The overall objective of the Research/Knowledge working group is to promote mutual understanding, collaborative activities, and interdisciplinary knowledge in the aquaculture sector through data backed research.
- To facilitate the identification of policy gaps and research needs in the aquaculture sub-sector.
- Conduct research that is relevant to stakeholder needs
- Advocate for positive policy changes for the development of aquaculture value chain
- Facilitate information sharing and benchmarking best practices on aquaculture value chain development in Malawi
- Facilitate identification of key institutions and stakeholders that are active in research
- Disseminate research information to key stakeholder
- Facilitate information sharing of key findings from research; to be used by all stakeholders as key vehicles for sector development
The working group will specifically also work on the following subjects:
- Support the development of guidelines on high quality feeds, fingerlings and best aquaculture production systems
- Support the process of certification of hatcheries
- Work on genetic improvement and undertake studies to compare local and exotics species
- Discuss and agree on the possibility of domestication of new fish species
- Develop strategies on value-addition technics for fish
- Collaborate in development of standards for fish product.